Subject: 23.1.50; problem with start-process and utf-16-le-dos coding system

From: Eduard Wiebe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:37:00 +0100

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

I have a problem with following elisp snippet:

(let ((coding-system-for-read  'utf-16-le-dos)
      (coding-system-for-write 'utf-16-le-dos))
  (start-process  "ucs" "ucs" "cat" "utf-16-studie.txt"))

File utf-16-studie.txt contains some umlauts and a unicode character
--- utf-16-studie.txt content ---
äöüß┰
--- utf-16-studie.txt content ---
and is saved with utf-16-le-dos coding system.

After evaluation of the let form above the buffer "ucs" looks like this:
--- ucs buffer content ---
氨瑥⠠挨摯湩ⵧ祳瑳浥昭牯爭慥⁤✠瑵ⵦ㘱氭ⵥ潤⥳ ††⠠潣楤杮猭獹整⵭潦⵲牷瑩⁥甧晴ㄭⴶ敬搭獯⤩ ⠠瑳牡⵴牰捯獥⁳∠捵≳∠捵≳∠慣≴∠瑵ⵦ㘱猭畴楤⹥汥⤢਩

Process ucs finished
--- ucs buffer content ---

C-u C-x h on the first glyph in ucs buffer generate following output:

        character: 氨 (27688, #o66050, #x6c28)
preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
       code point: 0x6C28
           syntax: w 	which means: word
         category: .:Base, C:2-byte han, c:Chinese, j:Japanese, |:line breakable
      buffer code: #xE6 #xB0 #xA8
        file code: #xE6 #xB0 #xA8 (encoded by coding system nil)
          display: by this font (glyph code)
    x:-isas-song ti-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-160-gb2312.1980-0 (#x3031)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: CJK IDEOGRAPH-6C28
  general-category: Lo (Letter, Other)

Also i observe the same behaviour under 22.3.1.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/home/ew/Software/share/emacs/23.1.50/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.3 (i386-unknown-freebsd7.2, GTK+ Version 2.16.2)
 of 2009-10-15 on nirvana.pusto.de
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10601000
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/home/ew/Software''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: C
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: de_DE.ISO8859-1
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  eldoc-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  partial-completion-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p - e m - b u <tab> <return> <return> C-x k 
<return> y e s <return> C-x 1 M-x <up> <return>

Recent messages:
Checking 57 files in /home/ew/Software/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/eshell...
Checking 70 files in /home/ew/Software/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/erc...
Checking 52 files in /home/ew/Software/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/emulation...
Checking 144 files in /home/ew/Software/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/emacs-lisp...
Checking 24 files in /home/ew/Software/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/cedet...
Checking 57 files in /home/ew/Software/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/calendar...
Checking 87 files in /home/ew/Software/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/calc...
Checking 33 files in /home/ew/Software/share/emacs/23.1.50/lisp/obsolete...
Checking 1 files in /home/ew/Software/share/emacs/23.1.50/leim...
Checking for load-path shadows...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow gnus-cite flyspell ispell mail-extr gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 epg-config mm-view smime dig gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo
nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win
message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash gnus
gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util netrc mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
emacsbug sendmail eldoc wepkey typist utils ibuf-ext ibuffer remember
org-remember org byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile advice help-fns
help-mode view advice-preload org-footnote org-src org-list org-faces
org-compat org-macs easymenu time-date noutline outline easy-mmode
executable browse-url ps-print ps-def lpr windmove winner ring
image-dired format-spec edmacro kmacro dired-x dired-aux dired
regexp-opt ffap ido time avoid icomplete paren complete tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces
cus-face text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Eduard Wiebe