Subject: ./guix-daemon is broken

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 01:52:04 +0200

Guix,

There's a new(?) warning in towne:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix environment guix -- make V=1
[…]
LANGUAGE= ./pre-inst-env /run/current-system/profile/bin/sh 
/home/nckx/guix/build-aux/missing help2man --source=GNU 
--info-page=guix --output="doc/guix-daemon.1" `basename 
"doc/guix-daemon.1" .1`
help2man: can't get `--help' info from guix-daemon
Try `--no-discard-stderr' if option outputs to stderr
WARNING: 'help2man' is missing on your system.
         You should only need it if you modified a dependency of a 
         man page.
         You may want to install the GNU Help2man package:
         <https://www.gnu.org/software/help2man/>
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

That's because

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ ./guix-daemon --help
./guix-daemon: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: 
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

$ ldd ./guix-daemon
	linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffd84dfd000)
	libz.so.1 => not found
	libsqlite3.so.0 => not found
	libgcrypt.so.20 => not found
	libbz2.so.1.0 => not found
	libstdc++.so.6 => 
	/gnu/store/01b4w3m6mp55y531kyi1g8shh722kwqm-gcc-7.5.0-lib/lib/libstdc++.so.6 
	(0x00007fe1753d3000)
	libm.so.6 => 
	/gnu/store/fa6wj5bxkj5ll1d7292a70knmyl7a0cr-glibc-2.31/lib/libm.so.6 
	(0x00007fe175292000)
	libgcc_s.so.1 => 
	/gnu/store/01b4w3m6mp55y531kyi1g8shh722kwqm-gcc-7.5.0-lib/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 
	(0x00007fe175277000)
	libc.so.6 => 
	/gnu/store/fa6wj5bxkj5ll1d7292a70knmyl7a0cr-glibc-2.31/lib/libc.so.6 
	(0x00007fe1750ba000)
	/gnu/store/fa6wj5bxkj5ll1d7292a70knmyl7a0cr-glibc-2.31/lib/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 
	(0x00007fe175560000)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

which sounds less harmless already…

Kind regards,

T G-R