Subject: Re: bug#49118: 28.0.50; Error: File error Opening output file

From: Manuel Uberti <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 16:34:41 +0200

On 19/06/21 16:32, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> What happens if you invoke the native-compilation like this:
> 
>    $ emacs -batch -l comp -f batch-native-compile /usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/time.el.gz
> 
> Does this also fail, and if so, what error message(s) do you see?

This is what I get:

manuel@hathaway:~$ emacs -batch -l comp -f batch-native-compile 
/usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/time.el.gz
uncompressing time.el.gz...
uncompressing time.el.gz...done
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error 
"/usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/time.el.gz" "Opening output file" "Cannot 
overwrite file" "/usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/time.elc")
   signal(file-error ("/usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/time.el.gz" "Opening 
output file" "Cannot overwrite file" 
"/usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/time.elc"))
   comp--native-compile("/usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/time.el.gz")
   batch-native-compile()
   command-line-1(("-l" "comp" "-f" "batch-native-compile" 
"/usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/time.el.gz"))
   command-line()
   normal-top-level()

This is using sudo to invoke the same command:

manuel@hathaway:~$ sudo emacs -batch -l comp -f batch-native-compile 
/usr/local/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/time.el.gz
[sudo] password for manuel:
uncompressing time.el.gz...
uncompressing time.el.gz...done
uncompressing time.el.gz...
uncompressing time.el.gz...done

-- 
Manuel Uberti
www.manueluberti.eu