Subject: bug#49100: closed (Re: bug#49100: make check fails: %derivation-cache)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 01:35:02 +0000

Your bug report

#49100: make check fails: %derivation-cache 

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
49100: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=49100
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#49100: make check fails: %derivation-cache
From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 18:34:19 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The attached patch fixes the issue for me.  However, since I'm not sure
>> how %derivation-cache is or was supposed to be used, I would appreciate
>> a second opinion.
>
> You forgot to attach the patch, but I think it’s enough to remove the
> ‘hash-clear!’ call from ‘call-with-external-store’.

Sorry - but yes, that's all it did.  I removed the hash-clear! call.
I've gone ahead and committed this as
7f0af119a1e3ea9d0ae53811b619437b3e942702 on core-updates.

-- 
Chris

Subject: make check fails: %derivation-cache
From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 10:55:30 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

On core-updates (a6c292a6f123acc86429722619ccb51ca54f844f), "make check"
errors out in tests/builders.scm:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Backtrace:
           1 (primitive-load-path "tests/builders.scm")
In guix/tests.scm:
    146:8  0 (call-with-external-store #<procedure 7f92ff4f7d60 at i…>)

guix/tests.scm:146:8: In procedure call-with-external-store:
error: %derivation-cache: unbound variable
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The problem appears to have been caused by
7d873f194ca69d6096d28d7a224ab78e83e34fe1 ("build-system: Rewrite using
gexps.").

The attached patch fixes the issue for me.  However, since I'm not sure
how %derivation-cache is or was supposed to be used, I would appreciate
a second opinion.

Note that %derivation-cache has been used to refer to two different
things in the past (see: 3182539875a67f5989c73c3c654fe3138bbc275c).
Note also that even after applying this fix, some tests relying on
call-with-external-store still fail when run (see: bug 47018).

-- 
Chris