Subject: bug#49083: closed (Re: bug#49083: ‘guiximport pypi’ fails in the absence of “sdist”releases)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 17:48:03 +0000

Your bug report

#49083: ‘guix import pypi’ fails in the absence of “sdist” releases

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
49083: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=49083
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#49083: ‘guix import pypi’ fails in the absence of “sdist”releases
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Cc: Leo Prikler <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 18:46:49 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

So for now I “fixed” it by displaying a hint in commit
00762a4c4c8ecdd71cccf6afdd87ae68bf9b4964.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ ./pre-inst-env guix import pypi jaxlib
guix import: error: no source release for pypi package jaxlib 0.1.76

hint: This indicates that the package is available on PyPI, but only as a "wheel" containing
binaries, not source.  To build it from source, refer to the upstream repository at
`https://github.com/google/jax'.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Ludo’.

Subject: ‘guix import pypi’ fails in the absence of “sdist” releases
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 09:33:13 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

For some packages we get this:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix import pypi jaxlib
guix import: error: no source release for pypi package jaxlib 0.1.67
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and indeed, there’s no “sdist” (source distribution), only
“bdist_wheel” (.whl files).

Nevertheless, should the importer do something smarter here?  The
metadata at <https://pypi.org/pypi/jaxlib/json> doesn’t contain info
about the source repository (though it contains the home page at
github.com).  Would it make sense to build from a .whl file or does this
necessarily include generated code and other byproducts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.