Subject: Re: ‘guix import pypi’fails in the absence of “sdist” releases

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 23:03:36 +0200

Hi,

Leo Prikler <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Wheels are (as far as I understand) binary distributions, so they ought
> to contain everything, that gets put into site-packages.  I don't think
> they make for good source packages.  In particular, the jaxlib wheel
> contains a bunch of shared objects and almost none of the source that
> one can see on Github.

Uh, worse than I thought.

> Instead of erroring out, we could try to check whether the homepage
> points to a git forge and try to generate a git-reference from that. 

Sounds good.  I suspect special-casing github.com would already catch
most cases…  Problem is that we would not know which tag to use, unless
we go to great lengths to guess that.

> Failing this, we might want to set source to something, that produces
> an error when read or when used as a variable, similar to how unknown
> licenses are handled.

Right; not failing seems preferable.

Thanks,
Ludo’.