Subject: Re: bug#49078: dejagnu-1.6.3 test failure

From: Jacob Bachmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 16:02:30 -0500

Xi Ruoyao wrote:
> send: spawn id exp6 not open
>     while executing
> "exp_send "interp delete test_case""
>     invoked from within
> "if [file exists $test] {
> [...]
> 	expect "interp create test_case*test_case*expect*>..."
>     (procedure "process_test" line 9)
>     invoked from within
> [...]
>
> I know almost nothing about tcl/expect so I have no idea why did this
> happen.
>   

The child Expect process is exiting unexpectedly while running test 
cases.  When the parent later attempts to issue a command ({exp_send 
"interp delete test_case"} means type "interp delete test_case" at the 
child Expect's prompt), Expect notices that the channel has been closed 
and throws a Tcl error ("spawn id EXPN not open").  The new Tcl error 
handling in DejaGnu 1.6.3 catches and records this error, then repeats 
it after the test run to ensure that you notice that something went very 
wrong.

This is suspiciously similar to a previous bug report that I have been 
unable to replicate.  Please attach the "runtest.log" file to a reply, 
as it will have more details that might help me to understand this issue.

-- Jacob