Subject: Re: bug#49073: 28.0.50; python-send-to-repl functions misbehave

From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 11:43:02 +0200

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 at 16:53, [email-masked] wrote:

> This is a combined bug report for two unrelated but still somewhat
> related bugs.
>
> - The first bug is that when using `python-send-to-repl` functions, the
>   input does not get printed in the REPL buffer.
> - The second bug is that for various setups, even the output does not
>   get printed properly.
>

See the patch in https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=49822#45
for a proposed solution to the second problem.

As to the first problem (not echoing the input): I think this would be
pretty hard to implement in a dumb terminal.  You could try running the
Python shell in a terminal emulator (term or vterm) and write a macro to
paste regions of text into it.  In any case, echoing the input also
seems to be a somewhat unconventional behavior.  I don't think I would
want that.

PS: By 'python-send-to-repl' I assume you mean the 'python-shell-send-*'
family of commands, or do you refer to some external package?