Subject: bug#49073: 28.0.50; python-send-to-repl functions misbehave

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2021 16:53:02 +0200

This is a combined bug report for two unrelated but still somewhat
related bugs.

- The first bug is that when using `python-send-to-repl` functions, the
  input does not get printed in the REPL buffer.
- The second bug is that for various setups, even the output does not
  get printed properly.

The reason for this bug report, which might arguably have the best
description, is
the Spacemacs issue at
https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/issues/14845.

Start emacs with -Q flag. Open a python buffer/.py file.
Call `M-x run-python`
type e.g. 2+2
now send to REPL with `M-x python-shell-send-buffer/statement`

The input does not get printed in the REPL (as I would expect from
sending to REPL).  This could be intentionally, but I would say that at
least `python-shell-send-statement` should print also the input.

Then secondly, often, even the output does not get printed (when
not sending an explicit print statement).
This seems to occur when sending more then two lines (e.g. when using
`python-shell-send-buffer` in a buffer that
starts with an empty line and has 2+2 on the second line). So then the
'interactivity` of using the repl got totally lost.This is a combined
bug report for two unrelated but still somewhat related bugs.

- The first bug is that when using `python-send-to-repl` functions, the
input
  does not get printed in the REPL buffer. - The second bug is that for
various
  setups, even the output does not get printed properly.

The reason for this bug report is the Spacemacs issue at
https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/issues/14845.

To reproduce:

- Start emacs with -Q flag.
- Open a python buffer/.py file.
- Call `M-x run-python`
- type e.g. 2+2 and send to REPL with `M-x python-shell-send-
buffer/statement`

The INPUT does not get printed in the REPL (as I would expect from
sending to
REPL). This could be intentionally, but I would say that at least
`python-shell-send-statement` should print also the input.

Then secondly, often, even the output does not get printed (when
not sending an explicit print statement).
This seems to occur when sending more then two lines (e.g. when using
`python-shell-send-buffer` in a buffer that
starts with an empty line and has 2+2 on the second line). So then the
'interactivity` of using the REPL got totally lost.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.25, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-02-18 built on daniel-fedora
Repository revision: 185121da6978553d538d37d6d0e67dc52e13311f
Repository branch: feature/native-comp
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version
11.0.12011000
System Description: Fedora 34 (Workstation Edition)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-nativecomp'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(thingatpt compile cl-extra python tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs
trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp format-spec comint ring ansi-color help-mode
pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map cl-macs text-property-search time-date subr-x
seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-
loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-
utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face pcase macroexp
files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 100433 12328)
 (symbols 48 9063 1)
 (strings 32 27932 1704)
 (string-bytes 1 968685)
 (vectors 16 16800)
 (vector-slots 8 337783 21001)
 (floats 8 47 279)
 (intervals 56 252 0)
 (buffers 992 14))