Subject: bug#4907 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (23.1; (elisp)Motion Events: Incorrect event description)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:20:05 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#4907: 23.1; (elisp)Motion Events: Incorrect event description

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
4907: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=4907
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: 23.1; (elisp)Motion Events: Incorrect event description
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: Drew@furry, Adams@furry, " <[email-masked]>"@furry
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:16:15 -0500

> This is incorrect, AFAICT. (mouse-movement (POSITION)) should
> instead be (mouse-movement POSITION).  The value of POSITION is
> itself a list.

Fixed, thanks.

Subject: 23.1; (elisp)Motion Events: Incorrect event description
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:31:45 -0800

The node says:
 
 Emacs sometimes generates "mouse motion" events to describe motion of
 the mouse without any button activity.  Mouse motion events are
 represented by lists that look like this:
 
     (mouse-movement (POSITION))
 
   The second element of the list describes the current position of the
 mouse, just as in a click event (*note Click Events::).
 
   The special form `track-mouse' enables generation of motion events
 within its body.  Outside of `track-mouse' forms, Emacs does not
 generate events for mere motion of the mouse, and these events do not
 appear.  *Note Mouse Tracking::.
 
This is incorrect, AFAICT. (mouse-movement (POSITION)) should
instead be (mouse-movement POSITION).  The value of POSITION is
itself a list.  This is an example value of a motion event:
 
(mouse-movement (#<window 10 on *info*> mode-line (256 . 332) 9231031
(#(" (elisp) Motion Events" 9 22 (face mode-line-buffer-id help-echo
"mouse-1: scroll forward, mouse-3: scroll back" mouse-face
mode-line-highlight local-map (keymap (mode-line keymap (mouse-3
. Info-mouse-scroll-down) (mouse-1 . Info-mouse-scroll-up))))) . 12)
82181 (31 . 155) nil (7 . 12) (8 . 16)))

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-07-29 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'