Subject: Re: bug#49065: 28.0.50; Major Changes to Gnus

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 00:12:00 -0700

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think the update is that the bug reporter has forked Emacs entirely:
>
> https://github.com/dickmao/commercial-emacs
>
> Probably this bug report can be closed.

This code was offered to Emacs, so I don't think the fork is relevant.

We are still waiting to hear back from the original poster of this bug
report, to see if he is prepared to break this patch down into smaller
chunks.  That would be by far the best outcome for Emacs, both the
original version and his fork.  (It would, among other things, of course
make the work of maintaining his fork easier.)

If he can't or won't do that, perhaps there is someone else here who is
capable and willing to do that work.  Perhaps there are features in
there that are indeed very useful.  I don't know, but I feel like it
would at the very least be worth taking a look.

Only if both those options fail, should we close this bug report.

But that's just my opinion, of course.