Subject: bug#49062: 27.2; "Ref found in non-versioned section in "NEWS.22"

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 14:00:33 +0000

1. emacs -Q

2. In *scratch*, type and then eval this: (setq a 42).

3. C-h v a

You get this ephemeral message (check *Messages*):

 Ref found in non-versioned section in "NEWS.22"

And *Help* is displayed with this:

 a's value is 42

   Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 1.1.

 Documentation:
 Not documented as a variable.

An Easter egg, of sorts.  And Emacs version 1.1!
What's the prize for finding this begg?

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2021-03-26 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: deef5efafb70f4b171265b896505b92b6eef24e6
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19041
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2004.19041.985)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
Quit [2 times]
42 (#o52, #x2a, ?*)
Ref found in non-versioned section in "NEWS.22"
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
scroll-up-command: End of buffer

Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY W32NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date subr-x seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-print thingatpt help-fns
radix-tree help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars
term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 59600 11136)
 (symbols 48 6529 3)
 (strings 32 20795 1649)
 (string-bytes 1 574528)
 (vectors 16 10244)
 (vector-slots 8 145373 15886)
 (floats 8 35 98)
 (intervals 56 733 30)
 (buffers 1000 15))