Subject: bug#49040: 27.1; Org Radio Tables Do Not Repect org-export-with-sub-superscripts

From: "Spaulding, Jeff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 14:24:31 +0000

The variable org-export-with-sub-superscripts determines if '^' and '_' are
interpreted as super and subscripts during export.  When set to nil or "{}",
this works as intended when exporting a normal org file.

When using radio tables in a LaTeX file, this variable does not affect the
table translation.

To reproduce:

Start Emacs with -Q and run (require 'org) in the scratch buffer.

Create a simple .tex file that contains a radio table.  Ensure the radio table
contains underscores and carots.  Set the variable
org-export-with-sub-superscripts to nil.  (Alternatively, I will upload a test
file with appropriate file-local variables once this bug is accepted.)

Press M-S-: and evaluate the expression (orgtbl-mode).

Navigate to the table and press C-c C-c (if this doesn't work - it's
unreliable at times - do M-x orgtbl-send-table).  The radio table will be
filled in with \textsubscript{} and \textsuperscript{} directives.

This behavior is inconsistent with org's normal export mechanism, which does
respect the value of this variable.

In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0, Xaw scroll bars)
of 2020-08-12 built on LT3AV7KMK
Windowing system distributor 'The Cygwin/X Project', version 11.0.12001000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Recent messages:
<pause> is undefined
Orgtbl mode enabled in current buffer
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.
[2 times]
C-x <pause> is undefined
Table converted and installed at 1 receiver location
Undo
Saving file /home/spauldo/blah.tex...
Wrote /home/spauldo/blah.tex
<pause> is undefined

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-x --with-x-toolkit=lucid
--with-sound=no --with-cairo'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON
PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: LaTeX

Minor modes in effect:
  orgtbl-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table ox-ascii
ox-publish ox org-element avl-tree generator cl-extra pp thingatpt
ol-eww ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnir gnus-sum url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap shr
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio
eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs json map url-vars svg xml dom
browse-url gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa
derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr
wid-edit ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif dired
dired-loaddefs ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m org ob ob-tangle ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities time-date subr-x noutline
outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table
ol org-keys org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace
help-mode easymenu find-func cl-loaddefs cl-lib tex-mode compile shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring latexenc tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 182490 12430)
(symbols 48 20545 1)
(strings 32 71573 2424)
(string-bytes 1 2396499)
(vectors 16 32387)
(vector-slots 8 362069 18216)
(floats 8 220 188)
(intervals 56 386 0)
(buffers 1000 14))