Subject: Re: [gnutls-help] TLS downgrade at bitbucket.org

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 23:26:13 +0200

Hi Daiki,

Daiki Ueno <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> $ gnutls-cli --priority="NORMAL:-ARCFOUR-128:-CTYPE-ALL:+CTYPE-X509:-VERS-SSL3.0:-VERS-TLS-ALL:+VERS-TLS1.0:+VERS-TLS1.1:+VERS-TLS1.2:+VERS-TLS1.3" -p https bitbucket.org

[...]

>> Aren’t these two priority strings supposed to be equivalent today?
>
> No.  If -VERS-TLS-ALL is used, the default priorities on TLS versions in
> NORMAL are ignored; the user is responsible for building the priority
> string so it reflects the actual preference, which in this case is:
>
>   -VERS-TLS-ALL:+VERS-TLS1.3:+VERS-TLS1.2:+VERS-TLS1.1:+VERS-TLS1.0

Thanks for the explanations.  As you suggest, the mistake was that cURL
7.77.0 would pass the priority string in the “wrong order”, preferring
older TLS versions.  This is now fixed:

  https://github.com/curl/curl/issues/7277

Ludo’.