Subject: ungoogled-chromium failed to disable malware extension The Great Suspender

From: "Jorge P. de Morais Neto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 18:29:03 -0300

Hi.  I use Guix atop Debian¹ testing (currently bullseye).

I normally browse the web on GNU IceCat and sometimes Firefox and
Emacs EWW.  I only use (ungoogled-)chromium for the rare websites that
don't work on the other browsers.  Long ago I installed in Chromium the
extension The Great Suspender, and only today (months after G$$gle
Chrome, according to news articles) did my Chromium disable it for
having malware.  And the only Chromium that did that for me was
Debian's.

So, I hypothesize that the ungoogling process has disabled Chromium's
ability to automatically disable malware extensions.  If true, that is a
serious defect of ungoogled-chromium and Guix should make sure that
users at least know about it.  There could be a warning in the Guix
package description *and* on the browser's start page.

Thank you for your work on GNU!

Regards

¹ When I find the time I intend to migrate to PureOS for superior libre
software ethics.

-- 
- https://stallmansupport.org "In Support of Richard Stallman"
- If an email of mine arrives at your spam box, please notify me.
- Please adopt free/libre formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z.
- Free/libre software for Replicant, LineageOS and Android: https://f-droid.org
- [[https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html][What is free software?]]