Subject: Re: bug#49029: ungoogled-chromium failed to disable malware extension The Great Suspender

From: Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 19:17:13 -0300

Hi Marius.

Em [2021-06-16 qua 23:09:19+0200], Marius Bakke escreveu:

> It's not easily possible to install extensions with ungoogled-chromium,
> apart from the two that are available directly through Guix.  If the
> user goes out of their way to install extensions, such as using a
> browser from a different distro, there is little we can do.
>
> Mixing browser profiles between the vanilla and ungoogled Chromium is
> not a supported use case.  Warranty void.

In my case, the Debian Chromium's profile was already there when I
installed Guix's ungoogled-chromium.  I didn't even notice that Guix's
ungoogled-chromium cannot install extensions from the Chrome Store.

> I'd accept a patch that warns or refuses to use a "tainted" browser
> profile, or changes the default browser profile directory so it does not
> conflict with vanilla.

Unfortunately I cannot write such a patch; I would have to dedicate a
large amount of time learning about Chromium's insides (which are
reportedly byzantine) and I don't even know if I'll actually keep using
Guix's ungoogled-chromium.  But couldn't you report this to
ungoogled-chromium upstream?

> But I'm inclined to close this as "not-a-bug" for now.  WDYT, Jorge?

In my humble opinion, users should be communicated, especially users of
Guix package manager on another GNU distribution.  Maybe at least a
warning in the package description that mixing Guix's ungoogled-chromium
and host distribution's Chromium on the same profile is unsupported?

Regards

-- 
- https://stallmansupport.org "In Support of Richard Stallman"
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback.
- https://www.defectivebydesign.org
- https://www.gnu.org