Subject: bug#49029: ungoogled-chromium failed to disable malware extension The Great Suspender

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 23:09:19 +0200

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skriver:

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 06:29:03PM -0300, Jorge P. de Morais Neto via Bug reports for GNU Guix wrote:
>> I normally browse the web on GNU IceCat and sometimes Firefox and
>> Emacs EWW.  I only use (ungoogled-)chromium for the rare websites that
>> don't work on the other browsers.  Long ago I installed in Chromium the
>> extension The Great Suspender, and only today (months after G$$gle
>> Chrome, according to news articles) did my Chromium disable it for
>> having malware.  And the only Chromium that did that for me was
>> Debian's.
>
> Does anybody know what we need to do to fix this bug? Do we need to
> update the ungoogled-chromium package?

It's not easily possible to install extensions with ungoogled-chromium,
apart from the two that are available directly through Guix.  If the
user goes out of their way to install extensions, such as using a
browser from a different distro, there is little we can do.

Mixing browser profiles between the vanilla and ungoogled Chromium is
not a supported use case.  Warranty void.

I'd accept a patch that warns or refuses to use a "tainted" browser
profile, or changes the default browser profile directory so it does not
conflict with vanilla.

But I'm inclined to close this as "not-a-bug" for now.  WDYT, Jorge?