Subject: [bug#49008] bug#55069: Add some means to find LV2 plugins

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 14:45:54 +0200

> [PATCH] gnu: mda-lv2: Remove unnecessary search-path-specification.

Isn't it currently necessary?  Because lv2 doesn't have a LV2_PATH
search path yet.

Nathan Dehnel schreef op vr 22-04-2022 om 17:13 [-0500]:
> It seems DAWs and plugins can't find each other because there is no
> way to find the plugins outside of the store because there is no
> directory where the plugins are aggregated, and $LV2_PATH isn't set.

I think this would be resolved by adding the search path to the 'lv2'
package (and removing it from lv2-mda-piano, mda-lv2 and calf).

> [PATCH] gnu: Add invada-studio-plugins-lv2.
> [PATCH] gnu: Add distrho-ports-lv2.
> [PATCH] gnu: Add omins-lv2.
> [PATCH] Add drumgizmo

The convention is to add the search paths to the users of the plugins,
not the plugins theirselves.  Cf. GUILE_LOAD_PATH, LIBRARY_PATH,
MINETEST_MOD_PATH, EMACSLOADPATH, INFOPATH ...  See
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/49533#5>.

The benefit is that this avoids forgetting LV2_PATH for some plugins,
as it only needs to be added to relatively few places (lv2 itself,
maybe guitarix, maybe ir, arour ...).

Greetings,
Maxime