Subject: bug#49: 23.0.60; TRAMP fails to copy a gzip'ed file

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:56:30 +0100

Hello!

Visiting /var/log on a remote server with TRAMP and SSH protocol I  
want to copy a gzip'ed messages log file. I can view it remotely.  
When I copy from the remote dired buffer to a local one, TRAMP writes  
of:

	compressing tramp.29438xtJ.gz...done
	Wrote /tmp/tramp.29438xtJ.gz
	Wrote /var/tmp/vServer/messages-20080221.gz
	Copy: 1 of 1
	Copy: 1 file
	uncompressing messages-20080221.gz...

Remote and local size are equal. When I visit the local copy in  
dired, jka-compr produces a giant temporary file  
(#messages-20080221.gz#), in which the first 355 lines look OK while  
the following 166,000 are pure rubbish, and this error message in  
*jka-compr-error*:

	Error while executing "gzip -c -q -d < /var/tmp/vServer/ 
messages-20080221.gz"

	gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file

This also happens when I launch GNU Emacs with -Q ...
In any case y in dired mode says: 'gzip compressed data, was  
"messages-20080221", from Unix'

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d  
scroll bars)
  of 2008-03-09 on Latsche.local
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version  
11.0.40400000
configured using `configure  '--without-pop' '--without-sound' '-- 
with-xft' '--with-libotf' '--with-dbus' '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '-- 
enable-font-backend' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application  
Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application Support/Emacs/caml:/ 
Library/Application Support/Emacs:/sw/share/emacs21/site-lisp/elib'  
'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/system-openssl/ 
lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/local/clamXav/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig'  
'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp -D__BIND_NOSTATIC -I/sw/lib/fontconfig2/ 
include -I/sw/lib/freetype219/include -I/sw/lib/freetype219/include/ 
freetype2 -idirafter /usr/X11R6/include' 'CFLAGS=-ggdb -gfull - 
bind_at_load -Wno-pointer-sign -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 - 
mno-powerpc64 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -freorder-blocks- 
and-partition -fno-crossjumping' 'LDFLAGS=-bind_at_load -dead_strip - 
multiply_defined suppress -L/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib -L/sw/lib/ 
freetype219/lib''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: C
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
   TeX-PDF-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   desktop-save-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Die Zeit wird kommen, da unsere Nachkommen sich wundern werden, wie  
wir so wunderbare Dinge einfach gewusst haben konnten.
                         (Ein Optimist nach Lucius Annæus Seneca)