Subject: Re: [bug#48984] [PATCH] gnu: ddcutil: Patch kernel modules paths.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:35:30 +0200

Brice,

Thanks for the patch!  Does it affect more than ‘ddcutil 
detect/environment’?  Anything ‘real’?

Working around one of many bugs in a broken diagnostic subtool 
isn't worth maintaining a 32-line patch.

Brice Waegeneire 写道：
> Without it "ddcutil detect" complain: “Module i2c-dev is not 
> loaded and
> ddcutil can't determine if it is built into the kernel”.

With it, it still complains:

  ~ λ ddcutil detect
  Module i2c-dev is not loaded and not built into the kernel.
  ddcutil requires module i2c-dev

It doesn't address the built-in case either, AFAICS.

The very idea of ddcutil's linux_util.c is flawed and can't be 
fixed: you don't look in /etc for the running kernel version; you 
don't use that ill-gotten string to start scanning random system 
directories for .ko files; you don't check for built-in modules by 
looking for possibly installed build leftovers.  None of that 
makes sense.  You ask kmod.  You ask the kernel!

Kind regards,

T G-R