Subject: Re: bug#48978: 28.0.50; native-comp: Error: File error Creating file with prefix

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 10:16:50 +0300

> From: No Wayman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 15:48:33 -0400
> 
> Recently upgraded

You upgraded from which Emacs version?

> and I'm getting the same error for all of the elisp files under
> /usr/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/* e.g.
> 
> Warning (comp): /usr/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/progmodes/etags.el: 
> Error: File error Creating file with prefix 

This doesn't seem to be the complete error message which should be
emitted when that operation fails.  It should display the file name
and the error description after the text you show.

What happens if you do the following from the shell prompt:

  $ emacs -batch -l comp -f batch-native-compile /usr/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/progmodes/etags.el

(The above assumes that the Emacs binary from this new version is on
PATH; if not, replace "emacs" with the full absolute file name of the
Emacs binary.)

If the above command also fails, please show the full error message it
displays.

Also, is /usr/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/progmodes writable by your
user?

Thanks.