Subject: bug#48978: 28.0.50; native-comp: Error: File error Creating file with prefix

From: No Wayman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 15:48:33 -0400

Recently upgraded and I'm getting the same error for all of the 
elisp files under /usr/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/*
e.g.

Warning (comp): /usr/share/emacs/28.0.50/lisp/progmodes/etags.el: 
Error: File error Creating file with prefix 

Happens regardless of whether Emacs is started with my init or 
with emacs -Q.
As soon as any package along that path is loaded, the errors kick 
in when JIT native compilation is attempted.
Inspecting ~/.emacs.d/eln-cache/28.0.50-d3c1e6c9 confirms the 
error, as none of those package have corresponding .eln files.

Happy to provide more information if necessary 

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, 
cairo version 1.17.4, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2021-06-12 built on arch
Repository revision: 0afab352e02d7070a8ced2af53c1d01217400cdf
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.12011000
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man 
 --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --without-gconf 
 --without-gsettings
 --enable-link-time-optimization --with-native-compilation
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xft --with-xaw3d
 --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt 
 -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -flto 
 -fuse-linker-plugin'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'
Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON 
LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY 
INOTIFY
PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS 
X11
XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID ZLIB
Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix