Subject: Re: bug#4896: DocView: Continuous mode

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:06:45 +0200

>> Multi-page scolling doesn't always work even with SPC and DEL.
>> Visiting a PDF file puts it to read-only mode, that puts it to
>> view-mode (when `view-read-only' is t).
>
> Hm, at least, that's not the default value.
>
>> And view-mode overrides DocView's SPC and DEL bindings with its own
>> SPC and DEL bindings (`View-scroll-page-forward' and
>> `View-scroll-page-backward') that are incompatible with image
>> scrolling.
>
> Maybe we should switch off view-mode in doc-view-mode explicitly?  IMO
> doc-view-mode is THE view-mode for PDF/DVI/PS files...

Thanks.  It seems your fix doesn't work.  The reason is that
`after-find-file' calls `view-mode-enter' *after* calling
`doc-view-mode' via `normal-mode'.

However, adding the following line to the end of `doc-view-mode'
seems to work (because `after-find-file' checks for `view-read-only'
before calling `view-mode-enter'):

    (set (make-local-variable 'view-read-only) nil)

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/