Subject: Re: bug#4896: DocView: Continuous mode

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:49:57 -0500

> I think mouse-4/5 once where bound to
> doc-view-scroll-down-or-previous-page and
> doc-view-scroll-down-or-previous-page previously, so they scrolled or
> switched pages back then.  I don't know why this was changed.  I guess,
> because one "press" of mouse-4/5 scrolled a half page, which was a bit
> unusual...

I can't remember why it was changed either, but I for one would dislike
it if scrolling the image with the wheel would suddenly switch to the
next/previous page: when I scroll it's usually because I want to center
the image differently.
So I do think that we need 2 modes: a continuous mode and the current mode.

>> Hmm, maybe.  Do you think this will cause problems with a large number
>> of pages and corresponding images in the same buffer?

I can't think of any reason why that would be a problem.  OTOH the
scrolling commands will need to be changed, and that may prove
more difficult.

> What could be a problem with multiple images in one buffer is the
> (re)conversion process on a first load of a document, or if a user wants
> to adjust the scaling, or the doc has changed.

At least for PDFs, it should be fairly easy to adjust the current code
to DTRT.

        Stefan