Subject: Re: bug#4896: DocView: Continuous mode

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:17:22 +0200

>>> If doc-view-continuous-kind has a value `none' and there's an interface
>>> for changing the value quickly, I'm also satisfied without having a
>>> minor mode. :-)
>>
>> But currently `doc-view-continuous-mode' has the same purpose with a
>> different name :-)
>
> I totally agree with everything you say, and I don't want to argue about
> the name.  -mode is not my favourite, because it sounds like a minor
> mode variable.

That's is good that we've identified the problem.  The suffix -mode
suggests that it's a mode while it is not.

> How about doc-view-continuous-style?

In one of my intermediate versions I named this variable
doc-view-continuous-level that I think is an equally bad name :-)

So I installed a patch that simply removes the suffix -mode
to use a simpler name `doc-view-continuous'.

> What's important to me is that the default style can be customized,
> *and* that there's an interface command to switch to another style when
> viewing a document.

Yes, now `doc-view-continuous' can be customized and also its value
can be selected from the menu and saved as the default value.
Later we could add more values such as "Smooth" for smooth scrolling
and "Restrictive" to not jump to the next/previous page on SPC/DEL.

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/