Subject: Re: bug#4896: DocView: Continuous mode

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 00:05:57 +0200

>> After implementing more smooth scrolling, we could later add a third
>> value (e.g. `smooth') to the customizable variable
>> `doc-view-continuous-mode'.  But with a minor mode this would not be
>> possible.
>
> We could have a variable `doc-view-continuous-kind' and a minor mode
> `doc-view-continuous-mode'.  To me the current behavior, smooth
> scrolling or even auto-scrolling are all different kinds of continuous
> mode.
>
> This would allow the flexibility you are striving for while still make
> it easy for user to toggle to non-continuous mode.

But this means that continuous mode should be enabled by default,
because the current default behavior is a kind of continuous mode
that allows only SPC and DEL to jump to the next/previous page.

This means that users will be interested only in changing the value of
`doc-view-continuous-kind' (interactively from the menu or with a command
bound to some key).  Thus the minor mode `doc-view-continuous-mode'
will be useless.

-- 
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/