Subject: Re: bug#4896: DocView: Continuous mode

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 20:11:22 +0100

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Juri,

>> I tried it out, and I'd prefer to have a minor mode, because although
>> I like the continuous mode, sometimes I have to switch it off.  With
>> a minor mode and the command bound to some key that would be more
>> convenient that M-: (setq doc-view-continuous-mode nil) RET.
>
> After implementing more smooth scrolling, we could later add a third
> value (e.g. `smooth') to the customizable variable
> `doc-view-continuous-mode'.  But with a minor mode this would not be
> possible.

We could have a variable `doc-view-continuous-kind' and a minor mode
`doc-view-continuous-mode'.  To me the current behavior, smooth
scrolling or even auto-scrolling are all different kinds of continuous
mode.

This would allow the flexibility you are striving for while still make
it easy for user to toggle to non-continuous mode.

Bye,
Tassilo