Subject: [bug#48934] [PATCH 0/2] Some improvements to (gnu services configuration)

From: Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 15:04:31 +0200

This series contains some improvements to the (gnu services
configuration) module.

The first patch changes the formatting of the generated documentation
for configuration records.  Previously, the generated documentation
looked a bit different from the ones that were to generated, compare the
docs for ‘getmail-configuration’ (generated) and ‘openssh-configuration’
(not generated).

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
   Available ‘getmail-configuration’ fields are:

 -- ‘getmail-configuration’ parameter: symbol name
     A symbol to identify the getmail service.

     Defaults to ‘"unset"’.

 -- ‘getmail-configuration’ parameter: package package
     The getmail package to use.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
 -- Data Type: openssh-configuration
     This is the configuration record for OpenSSH’s ‘sshd’.

     ‘openssh’ (default OPENSSH)
          The Openssh package to use.

     ‘pid-file’ (default: ‘"/var/run/sshd.pid"’)
          Name of the file where ‘sshd’ writes its PID.

     ‘port-number’ (default: ‘22’)
          TCP port on which ‘sshd’ listens for incoming connections.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The first patch will make the generated documentation look at lot more
similiar to the hand-written ones.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
 -- Data Type: getmail-configuration
     Available ‘getmail-configuration’ fields are:

     ‘name’ (default: ‘"unset"’) (type: symbol)
          A symbol to identify the getmail service.

     ‘package’ (default: ‘getmail’) (type: package)
          The getmail package to use.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

If you paid close attention you will also notice that the old generated
docs didn’t specify the default value of the ‘package’ field, whereas
the new docs do.  This brings us to the second patch, it looks the
package and shows the value of the ‘name’ field of the package.  This
will only show the correct package name if the ‘name’ field and the
Scheme variable corresponding to the package are the same, in most cases
it is, so I don’t think it would be a huge deal.

Xinglu Chen (2):
  services: configuration: Change formatting of generated documentation.
  services: configuration: Show default value when it is a package.

 gnu/services/configuration.scm | 62 ++++++++++++++++++++--------------
 1 file changed, 36 insertions(+), 26 deletions(-)

base-commit: 86bb77608d375043f837583332a7c852ea2080ec
-- 
2.32.0