Subject: Re: bug#48924: Add systemd

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2021 19:42:09 +0200

Hi Tony!

Tony O <[email-masked]> skribis:

> From f2c7d9f76ab8f2dcaaf8d4fdfb1f050fdb04c588 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Tony Olagbaiye <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 17:15:02 +0100
> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: Add systemd
>
> ---
>  gnu/packages/freedesktop.scm | 222 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  1 file changed, 222 insertions(+)

Woow, quite a piece of work!  Is this based on Marius’ earlier work?
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-04/msg00001.html

The policy for Guix is to accept free software packages; this one
clearly fits the bill.

Now, it would be unusable, unless/until Guix System supports systemd (an
option I do not support).  For example, ‘guix install systemd’ wouldn’t
be of any use, right?

All in all, with my co-maintainer hat on, it seems to me that the
maintenance cost would be high (because it’s a large piece of software
that evolves very quickly), for a package that’d be practically
unusable, so I’d lean towards not including it.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.