Subject: [bug#48924] Add systemd

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 14:30:10 +0200

Hi,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 11:44:47PM +0200, Leo Prikler wrote:
>> It is probably still a somewhat long and bumpy road, but in my personal
>> opinion one that has an end.
>> @lfam, ludo, efraim: WDYT?
>
> To me, it seems like we are applying a slightly higher standard to this
> patch than to other submissions of complex packages whose functionality
> is difficult to evaluate.

No no, I was careful to apply the same standards.  :-)  My main
question is whether it’s usable at all:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48924#1

Tony’s use case has to do with satisfying the dependencies of a
binary-only proprietary executable:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/48924#2

To me, that use case alone isn’t enough to justify maintaining systemd
in Guix proper.

However, if, as Efraim suggests, a systemd package has some uses, at
least on foreign distros, then that’s fine with me.  It’s a very narrow
use case (running ‘loginctl’ on a foreign distro), but why not.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.