Subject: Re: [bug#48924] Add systemd

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 11:36:14 +0200

Hi!

Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 07:11:18PM +0200, Leo Prikler wrote:

[...]

>> I'm definitely leaning towards not including it as-is/perhaps having it
>> in an external channel as well, but I don't think "high maintenance"
>> should generally be a deterrent against a functioning package (or
>> rather the only reason to keep a package from being included).

[...]

> I'd also argue that some of the bioinformatics packages are high
> maintenance and no one likes having to update them.

I agree with the two of you.  What I’m saying is that if in addition of
having a high maintenance cost, it’s pretty much unusable, then that’s
not good.

> One thing that I've noticed with elogind is that it doesn't interact
> will with systemd-logind on other machines. Any loginctl command
> normally fails because the version we have looks in /var/lib/elogind and
> systemd uses /var/lib/systemd.

Oh you’re saying that someone on a foreign distro might be interested in
running ‘systemctl’ from Guix’ ‘systemd’ package?  That sounds like a
bit far-fetched to me, dunno.

> It would also be useful to figure out how to run user level systemd
> services, likely using systemd itself, for those who are interested in
> doing so.
>
> I've heard that systemd is modular, in that at compile time it's
> possible to choose which modules to build. Perhaps we can build a subset
> which are actually useful for us?

Good question, no idea.

Thanks,
Ludo’.