Subject: [bug#48924] Add systemd

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 18:39:37 +0200

Hi,

Leo Prikler <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Am Mittwoch, den 09.06.2021, 20:31 +0000 schrieb Tony O:
>> In particular, im using it to relink against a nonfree binary which
>> responds badly to tampering, so im using it only as a library. 
> A systemd package, which serves no purpose other than being linked
> against nonfree binaries does not sound particularly useful, especially
> not when thinking in terms of FSDG compliance.  We don't even know
> whether *free* software linked against this systemd would behave as
> expected, let alone nonfree software.

Yeah, that’s definitely not a good reason to include it.

> This was in part already discussed in IRC, but to reiterate, I think
> that the systemd package should be usable in some capacity -- be it,
> that we can run systemd as user daemons or be it, that we can
> *meaningfully* link free software against it.  Note however, that the
> latter most likely implies the first, since there's no meaningful
> linkage against systemd without one of its daemons running.

Given the maintenance cost, we’d need a more convincing argument than
“should be usable”.  :-)

So it seems to me that we’re done with it as far as inclusion in Guix is
concerned.  Thoughts?

It’s typically a situation where an external channel is more
appropriate, IMO.

Thanks,
Ludo’.