Subject: Re: [PATCH] gnu: Add goldendict

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:09:46 +0200

Hi,

> +  (let ((commit "baff02a14b3f70f0d0a55bef550dbb74dcbf0ce8")
> +      (version (git-version "1.5.0-RC2" revision commit))
> +               (commit commit)))

Is this an actual upstream version?  If so, 'git-version' is not
necessary here.  Also, do we want to package release candidates, or
only regular releases?

> +                     #t))))

Not necessary anymore.

> +                     (for-each delete-file-recursively
> +                               '("winlibs" "maclibs"))

What is the reason for removal?  (bundling, nonfree, broken, ...?)

> +                       "CONFIG+=no_epwing_support"

Why not support 'epwing', whatever that is? 

> +
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/217b221/pkgs/applications/misc/goldendict/0001-dont-check-for-updates.patch

This will do, but ideally upstream would just have some kind of
configuration flag that distributions could set.

> + "Feature-rich dictionary lookup program")
+      (description
+       "GoldenDict is a feature-rich dictionary lookup program,
+supporting multiple dictionary formats (StarDict, Babylon, Lingvo,
Dictd, AARD,
+MDict, SDict) and online dictionaries, featuring perfect article
renderin

This is leaning a bit against the ‘no marketing phrases rule’ from
(guix)Synopses and Descriptions.

Greetings,
Maxime.