Subject: 28.0.50; list-packages fails trying to contact an internal server

From: Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 12:21:10 -0400

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0, NS appkit-1894.60 Version 10.15.7 (Build 19H1217))
 of 2021-06-01 built on 3c22fb11fdab.ant.amazon.com
Repository revision: afe7d9bd59258754ddbac1fb2e4b51cc4d8669b4
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1894
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.15.7

I get this error on M-x list-packages:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "ip-10-0-37-237.ec2.internal/8081 nodename nor serv...")
  signal(error ("ip-10-0-37-237.ec2.internal/8081 nodename nor serv..."))
  package--with-response-buffer-1("https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/" #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode 0x185414f4e5c4fd07>) :file "archive-contents" :async t :error-function #f(compiled-function () #<bytecode -0x1a9d4fb09851cb13>) :noerror nil)
  package--download-one-archive(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/") "archive-contents" t)
  package--download-and-read-archives(t)
  package-refresh-contents(t)
  package-menu--refresh-contents()
  list-packages(nil)
  funcall-interactively(list-packages nil)
  call-interactively(list-packages record nil)
  command-execute(list-packages record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "list-packages" nil)
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "list-packages" nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

`package-archives` is

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(("melpa" . "http://melpa.org/packages/")
 ("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
 ("nongnu" . "https://elpa.nongnu.org/nongnu/"))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

ip-10-0-37-237.ec2.internal is an internal server that is not available
ATM and has nothing to do with emacs packages (it's a jupyter server
accessed by ein).

Configured using:
 'configure --with-imagemagick --with-mailutils --with-ns
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/opt/libxml2/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/imagemagick/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/gnutls/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/jansson/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libtiff/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libpng/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/libjpeg/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/opt/freetype/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL GMP GNUTLS IMAGEMAGICK JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE
NS PDUMPER PNG THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  pyvenv-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-edit-server-edit-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug face-remap disass smtpmail rot13 bbdb-message mailalias
sendmail cookie1 nndoc qp sort smiley gnus-cite flow-fill gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-dup mail-extr gnus-ml hl-line disp-table spam spam-stat
gnus-uu yenc nndraft nnmh gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg utf-7 gnus-cache bbdb-gnus nntp log-view tex-mode
latexenc cal-move lisp-mnt mm-archive gnutls network-stream url-cache
finder-inf url-http url-auth url-gw nsm ein-ipynb-mode ein-process
ein-jupyter ein-dev ein-notebook yasnippet-snippets yasnippet
flymake-proc flymake company-capf company pcase elpy elpy-rpc pyvenv
eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module
esh-groups esh-util elpy-shell elpy-profile elpy-django s elpy-refactor
etags fileloop xref project python ein-python-send ein-traceback
ein-shared-output ein-pytools ein-pager ein-completer ein-notification
ein-scratchsheet ein-worksheet poly-ein display-line-numbers quail
polymode poly-lock polymode-base polymode-weave polymode-export
polymode-compat polymode-methods polymode-core polymode-classes
eieio-custom eieio-base color ein-kill-ring ein-cell ein-output-area
ein-kernelinfo ein-kernel ein-ipdb ein-events ein-websocket websocket
bindat ein-file ein-node ein-notebooklist ido ein-contents-api ein-query
ein-log ein-classes cus-edit cus-start ein-core request autorevert
filenotify anaphora ein-utils deferred dash ein shortdoc debug backtrace
dabbrev tramp-adb tramp-archive tramp-ftp tramp-gvfs tramp-cmds
conf-mode js cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs skeleton package edmacro kmacro
apropos pp cl-print help-fns radix-tree sh-script smie executable
log-edit pcvs-util grep compile smerge-mode diff vc-mtn vc-src vc-sccs
vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs ffap misearch multi-isearch flyspell ispell
org-element avl-tree generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue thingatpt mm-url
ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt
speedbar ezimage dframe gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
dig gnus-sum shr kinsoku svg dom browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus xml gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win
ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif ol-bibtex bibtex ol-bbdb
ol-w3m org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table ol org-keys org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-x
view cal-china cal-bahai cal-islam holidays hol-loaddefs bbdb-anniv
cal-iso cal-hebrew lunar cal-julian solar cal-dst appt diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs add-log vc-hg vc-bzr
tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration
files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete comint ansi-color parse-time
iso8601 ls-lisp format-spec remember cl-extra help-mode vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode vc-dispatcher bug-reference dired-aux dired
dired-loaddefs midnight warnings gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search time-date
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm mailabbrev
bbdb bbdb-site timezone edit-server advice server winner ring which-func
imenu url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv url-vars paren help-at-pt desktop frameset
cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-load info iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue
cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 816955 670928)
 (symbols 48 45766 25)
 (strings 32 308289 92541)
 (string-bytes 1 9978519)
 (vectors 16 118874)
 (vector-slots 8 2429921 383248)
 (floats 8 1264 802)
 (intervals 56 13953 10306)
 (buffers 992 87))

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1894
http://childpsy.net http://calmchildstories.com http://steingoldpsychology.com
https://ffii.org https://mideasttruth.com https://iris.org.il
Volume(Pizza of radius Z and thickness A) = PI * Z * Z * A