Subject: 23.1.50; emacsclient vs. daemon

From: Peter Tury <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 15:22:16 +0100

Hi,

I found some issues while playing around emacs --daemon.

Here are the first ones.

1.
In (info "(emacs) emacsclient Options") I see:

'As a special exception, if COMMAND is the empty string, then
`emacsclient' starts Emacs in daemon mode and then tries
connecting again.'

This is not really true: as -a has a mandatory, non-empty COMMAND,
it is impossible to call emacsclient this way from command line.

The special exception mentioned above works only if alternate_editor
environment variable is set to empty string.

My suggestion is to
- either change emacsclient.c to accept -a with empty string as COMMAND
or
- state explicitly in Info and in emacsclient.c's help text the way it
really works.

2.
On the same Info page an example is given this way:
'EDITOR="emacsclient --alternate-editor emacs +%d %s"'
I think it should be:
'EDITOR="emacsclient --alternate-editor=emacs +%d %s"'

Thanks anyway,P

----------

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.3)
 of 2009-11-08 on transcend-160
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10604000