Subject: Re: bug#48839: 28.0.50; Emacs freezes and takes 100% CPU with C-h v l

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2021 14:07:22 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2021 11:39:16 +0300
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
>> I will work on fixing string-width.
>
> Now done, please test.

Yes, works!

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(benchmark 100
           '(let ((print-escape-newlines t)
                  (print-escape-control-characters t)
                  (print-escape-multibyte t))
              (string-width (prin1-to-string load-history))))
;; "Elapsed time: 36.960925s (7.817438s in 100 GCs)"
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thanks for the quick fix.  Daniel also added a workaround (which is
probably still sensible even with your fix) to marginalia.

Bye,
Tassilo