Subject: bug#48824: 27.1; Symbol’s function definition is void: gnus-info-set-read

From: Ben Bacarisse <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 01:49:08 +0100

After upgrading to 27.1 my Gnus home-grown backend fails with

  Symbol’s function definition is void: gnus-info-set-read

If I comment out the one use of this function I can start Gnus but, of
course, the maintenance of the read messages no longer works.

The associated "getter" function (gnus-info-read) works, as does the
related "setter" function gnus-into-set-marks.

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --build
 x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-libsystemd
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils --with-cairo
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/emacs-P5Mppj/emacs-27.1+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD
JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-collapse hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-collapse
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/w3m-haddock hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/w3m-haddock
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-align-imports hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-align-imports
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-session hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-session
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-navigate-imports hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-navigate-imports
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-menu hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-menu
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-mode-pkg hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-mode-pkg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-sandbox hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-sandbox
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-compile hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-compile
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-completions hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-completions
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-ghc-support hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-ghc-support
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/ghci-script-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/ghci-script-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-doc hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-doc
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-debug hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-debug
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-utils hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-utils
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-repl hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-repl
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-decl-scan hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-decl-scan
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-lexeme hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-lexeme
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-indent
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-modules hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-modules
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-presentation-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-presentation-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-font-lock hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-font-lock
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-c2hs hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-c2hs
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-commands hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-commands
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-string hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-string
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-mode-autoloads hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-mode-autoloads
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-interactive-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-interactive-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-process hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-process
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-svg hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-svg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-complete-module hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-complete-module
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/highlight-uses-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/highlight-uses-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-move-nested hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-move-nested
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-unicode-input-method hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-unicode-input-method
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/ghc-core hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/ghc-core
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/inf-haskell hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/inf-haskell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-indentation hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-indentation
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-sort-imports hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-sort-imports
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-load hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-load
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-hoogle hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-hoogle
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-customize hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-customize
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-cabal hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/haskell-mode-17.2snapshot/haskell-cabal
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-wash hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-wash
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-lib hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-lib
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-show hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-show
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-hello hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-hello
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-print hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-print
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-mua hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-mua
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-compat
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-tag hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-tag
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-parser hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-parser
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/coolj hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/coolj
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-jump hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-jump
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-crypto hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-crypto
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-autoloads hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-autoloads
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-maildir-fcc hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-maildir-fcc
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-draft hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-draft
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-address hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-address
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-pkg hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-pkg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-message hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-message
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-version hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-version
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-query hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-query
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-tree hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-tree
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-company hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/notmuch-0.31.4/notmuch-company
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/php-mode-1.23.0/php-align hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/php-mode-1.23.0/php-align
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/php-mode-1.23.0/php hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/php-mode-1.23.0/php
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/php-mode-1.23.0/php-project hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/php-mode-1.23.0/php-project
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/php-mode-1.23.0/php-util-buffer hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/php-mode-1.23.0/php-util-buffer
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/php-mode-1.23.0/php-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/php-mode-1.23.0/php-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/php-mode-1.23.0/php-mode-debug hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/php-mode-1.23.0/php-mode-debug
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/php-mode-1.23.0/php-face hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/php-mode-1.23.0/php-face
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/php-mode-1.23.0/php-mode-pkg hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/php-mode-1.23.0/php-mode-pkg
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/php-mode-1.23.0/php-mode-autoloads hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/php-mode-1.23.0/php-mode-autoloads
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/web-mode-17.0.2/web-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/web-mode-17.0.2/web-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/web-mode-17.0.2/web-mode-autoloads hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/web-mode-17.0.2/web-mode-autoloads
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa/web-mode-17.0.2/web-mode-pkg hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa-src/web-mode-17.0.2/web-mode-pkg
~/.emacs.d/lisp/loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp/loaddefs

Features:
(shadow footnote rx flyspell ispell mailalias nnir emacsbug sendmail
help-fns radix-tree cl-print debug backtrace find-func ebuff-menu
mule-util flow-fill mm-archive face-remap sort gnus-cite smiley
ansi-color mail-extr gnus-bcklg qp apropos gnus-async gnus-ml gnus-topic
nndraft nnmh utf-7 nnmhraw nnml cl-extra help-mode bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua
bbdb-com pcase crm bbdb bbdb-site timezone gnutls network-stream nsm
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history mailcap shr
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util svg xml dom gnus-group gnus-undo edmacro
kmacro gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo
parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums text-property-search time-date mail-utils mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit thingatpt web-mode advice visible-mark easy-mmode cl
saveplace disp-table whitespace delsel cus-start cus-load finder-inf
bbdb-loaddefs package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 254223 33669)
 (symbols 48 21383 1)
 (strings 32 66980 5064)
 (string-bytes 1 2264412)
 (vectors 16 33283)
 (vector-slots 8 951364 38660)
 (floats 8 233 333)
 (intervals 56 876 0)
 (buffers 1000 34))

-- 
Ben.