Subject: Re: bug#48810: [PATCH] gnu: Add matterbridge.

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 18:16:02 +0200

On Fri, 04 Jun 2021 14:07:50 +0200
Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello,
Hi,

> The linter reports two problems:
> 
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> gnu/packages/messaging.scm:2977:5: [email-masked]: the source
> file name should contain the package name
> gnu/packages/messaging.scm:2977:5: [email-masked]: the source
> URI should not be an autogenerated tarball --8<---------------cut
> here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> which means that you should use:
> 
> > +      (method url-fetch)
> 
> git-fetch here,
> 
> > +      (sha256
> > +       (base32
> > +        "1p3mkfzv4xwm7vz8ja7qsa99qwxb9s61hnjjv65dkkjivlsif5hk"))))
> 
> and introduce something like:
> 
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>        (file-name (git-file-name name version))
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
Thanks a lot.

I've seen these warnings but I ignored thinking I couldn't fix it as I
didn't find any alternate files for the releases.

I've now sent an updated version.

By the way, I don't know much about go, and I'm pretty new to Guix, so
I did this package through trial and error and also looking at how
things were done in Parabola (through the Arch Linux Community
repository where the matterbridge package comes from).

And the Submitting Patches section of the manual[1] has the following:
> Make sure the package does not use bundled copies of software
> already available as separate packages. 

Here I'm unsure of what is being done under the hood, but at least
Parabola / Arch Linux don't seem to do anything special with that.

In any case I've already started deploying a matterbridge service by
using this package (with Guix pack) and a modified systemd service
file from Arch Linux on top of Trisquel 9 to bridge several IRC
channels, and so far it worked fine.

References:
-----------
[1]https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#Submitting-Patches 

Denis.