Subject: bug#48807: [master][windows10] emacs hangs when editing *.xml files

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 11:30:33 +0300

> From: Édouard Debry <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2021 10:14:10 +0200
> 
> - emacs master (a few weeks)

Please try the latest master and see if the same problem happens
there.

> - compiled with native-comp on windows 10 with latest mingw64 
>   environment

Which GCC version does that come with?  And which version of libxml?

> * Bug description
>   - open an *xml file, the nxml-mode is enabled in the buffer.
>   - edit (modify, save changes) the *xml file

Does this happen to you with _any_ XML file, or just with some?  If
the latter, can you post one such file?

>   - within a few minutes, emacs hangs by consuming the whole ram 
>   (not cpu).
>     As a consequence, windows 10 becomes much less responsive

Does Emacs run asynchronous native-compilation sub-processes when this
happens?  If so, how many such sub-processes are running, and what
happens if you kill some or all of them?

> The only workaround so far I found is to quickly edit xml files, 
> save and close them
> before emacs begins to eat all memory.

Please use the Task Manager or (better) Process Explorer to find out
which of the Emacs processes consumes most of the memory.  Is that the
process you started or any sub-processes that native-compile Lisp
files in the background?  How much memory does each Emacs consume?