Subject: Re: VC mark-resolved

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:23:57 -0400

>>>> > > CVS is hardly alone.  In fact, it seems that no other back-end
>>>> > > implements the mark-resolved action: I tried grepping for
>>>> > > `mark-resolved' in the vc-*.el files and came up with nothing.
>>>> > 
>>>> > There should be a (defalias 'vc-cvs-mark-resolved 'ignore)
>>>> > Or maybe even (defalias 'vc-default-mark-resolved 'ignore).
>>>> > But in any case, it seems like the mark-resolved thingy was not
>>>> > fully implemented if none of the backends define it.
>>>> 
>>>> Yep, a pointer to a relevant discussion: 
>>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/94816
>> 
>>> I checked in a new function, vc-default-mark-resolved, into vc.el.  It
>>> does nothing except issue a message saying the conflict is resolved.
>>> Someone else can write the vc-*-mark-resolved functions at a later date;
>>> for now, at least `C-x v v' doesn't get stuck at the error.
>> 
>> Thank you.  It shouldn't issue a message, tho: if we want it, we'd want
>> it in the backend-independent part of the code.

> If it doesn't issue a message, then there would be no feedback to the
> user that `C-x v v' did anything.  That could be confusing.

Again, if we want feedback, we need it to be in the backend-independent
part of the code, not in the vc-*-mark-resolved method.

        Stefan