Subject: Re: VC mark-resolved

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:15:43 -0400

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> > > CVS is hardly alone.  In fact, it seems that no other back-end
>>> > > implements the mark-resolved action: I tried grepping for
>>> > > `mark-resolved' in the vc-*.el files and came up with nothing.
>>> > 
>>> > There should be a (defalias 'vc-cvs-mark-resolved 'ignore)
>>> > Or maybe even (defalias 'vc-default-mark-resolved 'ignore).
>>> > But in any case, it seems like the mark-resolved thingy was not
>>> > fully implemented if none of the backends define it.
>>> 
>>> Yep, a pointer to a relevant discussion: 
>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/94816
>
>> I checked in a new function, vc-default-mark-resolved, into vc.el.  It
>> does nothing except issue a message saying the conflict is resolved.
>> Someone else can write the vc-*-mark-resolved functions at a later date;
>> for now, at least `C-x v v' doesn't get stuck at the error.
>
> Thank you.  It shouldn't issue a message, tho: if we want it, we'd want
> it in the backend-independent part of the code.

If it doesn't issue a message, then there would be no feedback to the
user that `C-x v v' did anything.  That could be confusing.