Subject: bug#48796: Guix on Debian 11 - Cant run or find applications from Guix in Desktop Menus

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 19:16:59 +0200

Hi Liliana Marie,

thank you for your support but I'm still completely lost

Obviously this is a Debian 11 relate issue and there is nothing Guix can
do to solve this issue, so I propose to close this bug report

Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> I just think that if Guix (the package manager) cannot automate
>> desktop integration on all foreign distros then it should be stated
>> in the manual, possibly explaining why and pointing users to the
>> foreign distro documentation.
> Fair point and I agree (and even submitted a documentation patch once
> already), but this problem hits a great many applications and can not
> easily be described in all of its failure modes.

With the adoption of Freedesktop standard and systemd I just thought
that this kind of configuration (environment) would be... standard,
probably I'm wrong.

This also means that it's hard to support users (and for users to
auto-support) impementing Guix in their foreign-distro

[...]

> This seems to be a rather Debian-specific issue then.  Note that Ubuntu
> Focal Fossa (and probably later Ubuntus) don't experience these issues

OK, I just opened this thread on debian-user ml:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2022/05/msg00153.html

I'll see if there is someone there that knows how to customize a Debian
11 diplay manager environment

[...]

Thanks! Gio'

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures