Subject: bug#48796: Guix on Debian 11 - Cant run or find applications from Guix

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 12:20:50 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 14:05, bo0od <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I'll try do propose some patch for the Guix manual but... don't hold
>> your breath, I need some testing.
>
> Sure tyt, but its a disaster way for guix for not doing this
> automatically. Imagine new user he should do stuff manually after
> installing guix through apt.. yeah he (mostly) wont stay around after that to
> be a guix user.

It is already the case for couple of configurations, see:

        When using Guix on top of GNU/Linux distribution other than Guix
        System—a so-called foreign distro—a few additional steps are
        needed to get everything in place. Here are some of them.

<http://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Application-Setup>

Therefore, I do not see why it should be different, i.e., the user has
to manually setup the correct configuration for icons apps as Mark
explained.

Let keep open this report open as a reminder until a patch improving the
manual is submitted. :-)

All the best,
simon