Subject: bug#48796: Just a newb, srsly this saved me

From: Luke Burgess <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 00:58:56 +0000

>If you type "source ~/.guix-profile/etc/profile"
>from a Bash shell, it loads the needed
>environment variable settings into that
>shell instance,and henceforth you
>should be able to run "icecat"
Maybe I should have read and understood the GUIX manual better.... Maybe I
should not be haphazardly putting together my config.scm files on the
fly.... Maybe I shouldn't be using root bash to test modifications I plan
to make to my config.scm files... Maybe running GUIX on the 6 bear metal
computers I use it on was a bad idea and I should be using VMs... But this
explanation just saved me...Some root shells working and others not
working, boy was I confused???... and this just saved me ... Mark H Weaver,
Thank you, Thank you Thank you.
Just one little thing I might still be getting totaly wrong... given I know
the classical lines:
#GUIX_PROFILE="/root/.config"
#. "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"
What would this do differently in root, if anything?
#source /root/.config/etc/profile