Subject: Re: bug#48793: Make guix room available over matrix

From: bo0od <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 19:52:57 +0000

> In the registration process they encourage the use of Google captcha.

Thats true, but comparing google captcha which only need to allow JS 
while using Tor VS you cant even access or register unless you use real 
IP address = No question google captcha has less privacy impact in this 
scenario.

OFTC was an example, Hackint and other IRC provider provide as well Tor 
access without even these boundaries.

So whether changing the IRC server or having matrix room bridged to IRC 
both solve the problem.

Bone Baboon:
> bo0od writes:
> 
>> if guix irc migrated to OFTC
> 
> OFTC has a problematic registration process.
> 
> In the registration process they encourage the use of Google captcha.
> Further there is no mention during the registration process of any
> alternative account registration options.
> 
> The use of Google captcha is problematic because of freedom, privacy,
> ethical and philosophical reasons.  There is a freedom problem because
> JavaScript has to be enabled and Google captcha is not free software.
> There is a privacy issue demonstrated by the Tor browser documentation's
> security settings section which says that JavaScript is disabled when
> the safest setting is
> used. <https://tb-manual.torproject.org/security-settings/>  Then there
> is an ethical issue of people doing free labor for Google.  Then there
> is a philosophical issue if that free labor is used to train artificial
> intelligence (Google is working on artificial intelligence
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google>) as this raises the issue of
> artificial intelligence safety.
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AI_control_problem>
>