Subject: Re: bug#48768: Introducing ability to append to docstring

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 16:08:21 +0200

Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> writes:

>   > A useful capability would allow one to append to a defun docstring
>   > using a defvar.
>
>   > User could write a brief description for the docstring, and later
>   > append more details
>   > from a defvar.
>
> Could you show an example of what this would look like, in use?
>
> I'm trying to guess -- though I don't have confidence in my guess --
> and I think this might be a useful feature but would be easier to use
> with a different interface.

We already have the `function-documentation' symbol property, no?

I wonder what use cases the OP has in mind for that that interface we
have is not sufficient and why the suggested interface would be more
appropriate.

Michael.