Subject: bug#48760: closed (Re: bug#48760: 13.0.11; C-c C-e itemize <RET> fills columns, even when auto-fill-mode is disabled)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 13:31:02 +0000

Your bug report

#48760: 13.0.11; C-c C-e itemize <RET> fills columns, even when auto-fill-mode is disabled

which was filed against the auctex package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
48760: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=48760
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#48760: 13.0.11; C-c C-e itemize <RET> fills columns, even when auto-fill-mode is disabled
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: Berthold Lorke <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 15:14:15 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Berthold Lorke <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Berthold,

> C-c C-e itemize <RET> fills columns, even when auto-fill-mode is
> disabled.  This doesn't happen for non-standard environments (i.e. any
> gibberish word, for example), the behaviour there is as expected.

You are right, `LaTeX-env-item', the function inserting an \item,
triggers paragraph filling since 2004.  For the time being, you could
add "itemize" (and possibly also "enumerate") to
`LaTeX-indent-environment-list'.

I've changed that now in git master.  We already had several paragraph
fillings on environment insertion guarded by `auto-fill-function' being
non-nil, so I've changed this occurrence, too.

I'll make a new ELPA release ASAP, probably on the weekend.

Bye,
Tassilo

Subject: 13.0.11; C-c C-e itemize <RET> fills columns, even when auto-fill-mode is disabled
From: Berthold Lorke <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 15:02:31 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

C-c C-e itemize <RET> fills columns, even when auto-fill-mode is
disabled.  This doesn't happen for non-standard environments (i.e. any
gibberish word, for example), the behaviour there is as expected.  i
haven't tried other pre-programmed environments yet.

Steps to reproduce:

0. be inside a buffer with major mode `latex-mode` (auctex)
1. make sure `auto-fill-mode` is disabled
2. mark a region that contains long lines
3. perform `LaTeX-enviroment` then type in `itemize` then press return

RESULT: the text that was highlighted is encased in an itemize
environment, and the first line hast an `\item ` prepended, but the
marked region has added line breaks, as one would expect when
`auto-fill-mode` is enabled, even when it isn't.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.27, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-03-26
Package: 13.0.11

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-date "2021-04-28"
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("~/.emacs.d/auctex"
"/tmp/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-13.0.11/style" "/tmp/.emacs.d/auctex/auto"
		  "/tmp/.emacs.d/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
 TeX-auto-save nil
 TeX-parse-self nil
 TeX-master t
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX" "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error)
%`%(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
		     TeX-run-TeX nil (plain-tex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode) :help
"Run plain TeX")
		    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil (latex-mode
doctex-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
		    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) %t" TeX-run-compile
nil (texinfo-mode) :help
		     "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
		    ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) --html %t"
TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode)
		     :help "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
		    ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%'
%(output-dir) %t" TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
		    ("ConTeXt" "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts)
%(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil
		     (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
		    ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
		     "Run ConTeXt until completion")
		    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %(O?aux)" TeX-run-BibTeX nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode
context-mode) :help
		     "Run BibTeX")
		    ("Biber" "biber %s %(output-dir)" TeX-run-Biber nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help "Run Biber")
		    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help "Run Viewer")
		    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
		    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help "View the printer
queue" :visible
		     TeX-queue-command)
		    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Generate PostScript file")
		    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
		    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx %d -o %(O?pdf)" TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
		    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f %(O?pdf)" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
		    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %(O?aux)" TeX-run-command nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Run makeglossaries to create glossary\n     file")
		    ("Index" "makeindex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Run makeindex to create index file")
		    ("upMendex" "upmendex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index t
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Run upmendex to create index file")
		    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil
		     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode texinfo-mode)
:help
		     "Run xindy to create index file")
		    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode) :help
		     "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
		    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil (latex-mode) :help
		     "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
		    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" TeX-run-function nil t :help
"Spell-check the document")
		    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help "Delete
generated intermediate files")
		    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t :help
		     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
		    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help "Run an arbitrary command"))
 )