Subject: Re: bug#48718: 27.2; Mode-line still displays ~Active after LaTex embedded calc has ended

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 17:53:14 +0100

Hello Kyle,

>>>>> Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]> writes:

    > Colin Baxter writes:
    >> 1. emacs -Q <RET> 2. C-x C-f test.tex <RET> 3. Mode line says
    >> "LaTeX" 3. In buffer enter $2*2$ 4. With point in expression do
    >> C-x * e.  8. $2*2$ changes to $4$.  9. Echo area gives message
    >> "Embedded Calc mode enabled; Give this command again to return to
    >> normal". Mode-line says "LaTeX ~Active".  10. Give command C-x *
    >> e again.  11. Buffer returns to normal with message "Back to
    >> LaTeX mode".  12. But mode-line still displays "LaTeX ~Active",
    >> and does so until the buffer is killed.

    > As far as I understand, that's by design.  It indicates that
    > formulas are still active in the buffer.

    > From (info "(calc)Assignments in Embedded Mode"):

    >   [...] Calc puts ‘~Active’ in the mode line if some, but probably
    > not all, formulas in the buffer are active.  This happens if you
    > activate a few formulas one at a time but never use ‘C-x * a’, or
    > if you used ‘C-x * a’ but then Calc had to deactivate a formula
    > because it lost track of it.  If neither of these symbols appears
    > in the mode line, no embedded formulas are active in the buffer
    > (e.g., before Embedded mode has been used, or after a ‘M-- C-x *
    > a’).

    > You should see an entry for the buffer in the variable
    > calc-embedded-active.  Invoking the keybinding mentioned in the
    > last sentence quoted above (triggering calc-embedded-forget)
    > should remove the buffer's entry from calc-embedded-active and
    > "~Active" from the mode line.

Well yes, but the above information has to be gleaned from info. The
user is just told that another  C-x * e will return things to
normal. This is not the case. I think at the very least the user should
be given further information.

Best wishes,

Colin.