Subject: Re: bug#48714: 28.0.50; Inconsistent font after theme modus-operandi upgrade

From: Pankaj Jangid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 13:11:21 +0530

Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]> writes:

> Does this happen with emacs -Q as well?

Hmm... I created a test.el with just this:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(when (window-system)
  (custom-set-variables
   '(modus-themes-slanted-constructs t)
   '(modus-themes-bold-constructs nil))
  (load-theme 'modus-operandi))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

And it is working perfectly fine with ‘emacs -Q -l test.el’. So there
must be something in my init which is interfering with the theme.

I have tried various things. But I need more time to isolate the
cause. Couple of things that made a difference:

1. (setenv "LANG" "en_US.UTF-8")
2. Following in my init:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(cond
 ((eq system-type 'gnu/linux)
  ;; On Debian, do this
  ;; sudo apt-get install fonts-noto
  (set-fontset-font t 'devanagari "Noto"))
 ((eq system-type 'darwin)
  ;; (set-fontset-font t 'devanagari "ITF Devanagari")
  (set-fontset-font t 'devanagari "Kohinoor Devanagari")))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Commenting out above two settings also changed the looks. But it was
still not perfect. I’ll dig more and report.