Subject: bug#48695: python.el *-backspace functionality behavior

From: Mikhail P <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 14:11:48 +0700

Hello!

I want to report a small behavior problem of the default python.el

When hitting backspace in some context it does not delete the region 
selected (between active mark and cursor) but dedents instead.

Attaching a video and debug info below.

Thanks, Mikhail

|In GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.22, 
cairo version 1.17.3)||
|| of 2020-08-29 built on juergen||
||Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.12010000||
||System Description: Arch Linux||
||
||Recent messages:||
||Please type q, s, or p; or ? for help||
||...ome/mikpom/tmp/test.py locked by mikpom@mik-PC... (pid 306092): (s, 
q, p, ?)?  [2 times]||
||point=32 of 31 (EOB) column=11||
||Quit [2 times]||
||point=32 of 31 (EOB) column=11||
||Use +,-,0 for further adjustment [7 times]||
||Mark set||
||Undo||
||Mark set||
||Undo||
||
||Configured using:||
|| 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib||
|| --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-wide-int||
|| --with-modules --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64||
|| -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2||
|| LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'||
||
||Configured features:||
||XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY||
||INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB||
||TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON||
||PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP||
||
||Important settings:||
||  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8||
||  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix||
||
||Major mode: Python||
||
||Minor modes in effect:||
||  text-scale-mode: t||
||  shell-dirtrack-mode: t||
||  tooltip-mode: t||
||  global-eldoc-mode: t||
||  eldoc-mode: t||
||  electric-indent-mode: t||
||  mouse-wheel-mode: t||
||  tool-bar-mode: t||
||  menu-bar-mode: t||
||  file-name-shadow-mode: t||
||  global-font-lock-mode: t||
||  font-lock-mode: t||
||  blink-cursor-mode: t||
||  auto-composition-mode: t||
||  auto-encryption-mode: t||
||  auto-compression-mode: t||
||  line-number-mode: t||
||  transient-mark-mode: t||
||
||Load-path shadows:||
||None found.||
||
||Features:||
||(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs||
||rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail||
||rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode||
||mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047||
||rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils face-remap help-mode||
||python easymenu tramp-sh tramp tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration||
||files-x tramp-compat shell pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date||
||ls-lisp format-spec auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs||
||eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map seq byte-opt gv bytecomp||
||byte-compile cconv comint ring cl-loaddefs cl-lib ansi-color tooltip||
||eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel||
||term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image||
||regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode||
||lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch||
||timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu||
||font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian||
||utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean||
||japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european||
||ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop||
||case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray||
||cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files||
||text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule||
||custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind||
||inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting||
||cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)||
||
||Memory information:||
||((conses 16 68993 9337)||
|| (symbols 48 8647 1)||
|| (strings 32 25425 1979)||
|| (string-bytes 1 913938)||
|| (vectors 16 14597)||
|| (vector-slots 8 182334 11322)||
|| (floats 8 46 19)||
|| (intervals 56 234 0)||
|| (buffers 1000 13))||
|